Saturday, July 16, 2011

Old Classics

For next fall semester, I am taking this English class called "blah blah blah...19th Century Thought." For this class, I have to read the following books: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Silas Marner and Two Short Stories by George Eliot, and The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. So when I started reading Mary Shelley, I got to thinking that I haven't read a lot of the old classic novels. How can I call myself an English major if I haven't even read Bram Stoker's Dracula?

So I'm going to compile a list of all those classic books that I need to read, and read them all in the next year. Now, I know you're probably thinking that this is an impossible feat, but I will make myself do it. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and I'm going to be on a plane, and driving home, to/from Yellowstone National Park (FYI I'm going to be doing a 'series' of my time there with pictures and [hopefully] a day-by-day update on what I'm up to there). That means that I'll have a lot of time on my hands that is better used reading classics than playing games on Facebook and waiting for someone to comment on my status.

So below is a list of all the books I'm hoping to have read by August 30th of next year (I want to be finished before next fall semester):

Mary Shelley:
Frankenstein

Jane Austen:
Pride & Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Maybe Persuasion and Northanger Abbey

Charlotte Bronte:
Jane Eyre

Emily Bronte:
Wuthering Heights (Wish me luck on this one)

Homer:
The Illiad (I've already read The Odyssey)

Bram Stoker:
Dracula

Leo Tolstoy:
Anna Karenina

 Alexandre Dumas:
The Three Musketeers
The Man in the Iron Mask

Robert Louis Stevenson:
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde 

Frederick Schiller:
Joan of Arc

I think that's a good enough list for the following year. If there are any that you would like to recommend, please put that in a comment. I would love to see what people like so I don't get bored out of my mind. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Frankenstien is sooo good! Amazing how different the real story is than all the movies! Same goes for Dracula! LOVED that book! There is another one by dear Mr. Stoker...Something about a mummies jewel. It was very good too! Oh! And The Yellow Wallpaper is fantastic!!! I love stories like that!!!!
    I am so looking forward to the series about your trip!

    ReplyDelete