Saturday, July 2, 2011

Janet Evanovich

Out of all the books that I have, Janet Evanovich is the only one that writes humor like Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel (if you follow my meaning). I have read all of her published works, but it's her Stephanie Plum series that are the funniest books that I've ever read in my life so far. I love them enough to buy all seventeen of them and will continue to buy the ones that have yet to be released. I don't consider them a waste of money, time, and paper or ebook space. Now that I have a Nook, I pre-order her books before they even come out and start reading them on the day they're released instead of waiting for them to be shipped on the release day.

I was first introduced to the series by a co-worker who's in her sixties. She told me that the humor was mainly light dirty humor, but I would find it an excellent read. I work at a library and there isn't a librarian there that hasn't read the series. This tells you that the books appeal to women of different ages and they keep readers coming back for more. Believe me, after seventeen books there has to be something about them that keeps people interested.

If you aren't even interested in reading them yet, here's the synopsis of the first book in the series One for the Money (fyi, you'll never be confused about which book is next because the number is in the title.):


Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey.

She's a product of the "burg," a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six.

Now Stephanie's all grown up and out on her own, living five miles from Mom and Dad's, doing her best to sever the world's longest umbilical cord. Her mother is a meddler, and her grandmother is a few cans short of a case.

Out of work and out of money, with her Miata repossessed and her refrigerator empty, Stephanie blackmails her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, fearless bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook.

Her first assignment: nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli is also the irresistible macho pig who took Stephanie's virginity at age sixteen and then wrote the details on the bathroom wall of Mario's Sub Shop. There's still powerful chemistry between these two, so the chase should be interesting.

It could also be extremely dangerous, especially when Stephanie encounters a heavyweight title contender who likes to play rough. Benito Ramirez is known for his brutality to women. At the very least, his obsession with Stephanie complicates her manhunt and brings terror and uncertainty into her life. At the worst, it could lead to murder.

Witty, fresh, and full of surprises, One for the Money was among the most eagerly awaited crime novels of the season.

I implore you to try out this book. If you're interested, go to Janet's website and you'll see the order of the books so you can either get them from your local library, or, if you're as impatient as I get, go to Barnes&Noble (or wherever you get your books) and order it.  If you're not pulled in by this, or if you don't like the dirty humor that's in it, I'm sorry.

Well, there's my advertising for the afternoon. Have a great day everybody! And if you're living in Michigan right now, grab a book instead of going outside--you'll melt the minute you're outside.

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Katie! We went to the zoo today and it was so hot!!!! I will have to see if the library has this as an audio download...seems like that is the only way I can get through a book lately!

    ReplyDelete